Abbotsford Economic Development Team supports advanced niche manufacturing based on three principals:
- Support the expansion and diversification of key industrial clusters. Accelerate Research and Development (R&D). Create a culture of innovation, consensus-building and networking from companies, universities and research organizations.
- Accelerate labour force productivity and work more effectively to embrace lean thinking. Encourage businesses to take the lead in workforce training and development.
- Create more collaboration between educational institutions and business to foster learning using new technology in cost effective, innovative ways. This ensures an effective response to changing global conditions.
- Manufacturers mitigate greenhouse gas emissions while reducing, reusing and recycling materials and resources.
- The bottom line is for our manufacturers to become the most cost-effective users of energy in the world and leaders in eliminating waste. Our region’s advanced manufacturing sector is strengthening, with the production focus shifting to higher technology. In the past 15 years, advanced manufacturing businesses grew over 19% of all firms, to almost 45% of the total manufacturing firms in the province.